Accidents ravaged the Seattle Seahawks final season, and the crew slumped to the end of the common season shedding three of their final 4 video games. Regardless of the setbacks, the Seahawks nonetheless gained a wild card recreation earlier than getting dropped by the Inexperienced Bay Packers within the Divisional Spherical.
Seattle’s offense is now totally constructed round quarterback Russell Wilson. He has a budding star vast receiver in DK Metcalf, and Tyler Lockett stays a strong goal. The crew additionally acquired veteran Greg Olsen to bolster a good finish group that features Will Dissly, who was fifth on the crew in receptions regardless of enjoying simply six video games.
Seattle Seahawks (11-5), misplaced in Divisional Spherical
Whereas a lot of Seattle’s passing offense is constructed out, the crew has some critical wants to handle on the remainder of the roster. Right here’s what Seattle wants to repair essentially the most.
Earlier than free company:
- Go rusher: Even when the Seahawks can convey again Jadeveon Clowney, they should increase their move rush. That’s regardless of taking defensive finish L.J. Collier within the first spherical final 12 months. Just one crew completed with fewer than Seattle’s 28 sacks final season. Nobody likes buying and selling down greater than Seahawks basic supervisor John Schneider. If he strikes down from the No. 27 choose, it may very well be to focus on a move rusher. Julian Okwara of Notre Dame, Josh Uche of Michigan, and Curtis Weaver of Boise State make sense after the primary spherical.
- Offensive deal with: The Seahawks appear to perpetually want an offensive deal with. That’s very true this offseason with proper deal with Germain Ifedi getting into free company. Backup George Fant is just too.
- Cornerback: Shaquill Griffin proved himself to be a reputable No. 1 cornerback final season, however the Seahawks need assistance reverse him. Keep in mind how Packers receiver Davante Adams scorched the Seahawks for 160 yards and two touchdowns within the playoffs? In the course of the draft, the Seahawks might goal a participant like Bryce Corridor of Virginia. The crew might additionally take a flier on Stanford Samuels III, a former four-star recruit whose expertise didn’t materialize at Florida State.
What Area Gulls desires most this offseason: Go rush. Go rush. Did I point out move rush? I simply talked about it once more. The Seahawks’ incapability to generate strain final 12 months contributed largely to a disappointing efficiency on protection. They’ve the cap house and draft capital to speculate considerably within the pursuit of edge rushers. Of lesser significance however nonetheless desired is retooling this offensive line (particularly with Mike Iupati, Ifedi, and Fant all free brokers) and bolstering vast receiver depth. — Mookie Alexander
After free company:
The Seahawks really took plenty of steps to handle their largest holes, however with some ageing veterans and missing depth choices, a lot of the similar positions stay as a necessity. Apart from those listed under, in addition they want depth at quarterback, working again, and security.
- Edge: Whereas the Seahawks signed Bruce Irvin, they’re nonetheless ready to see in the event that they’ll have Jadeveon Clowney again. Their edge wants might probably be stuffed with an outdoor linebacker. Both approach, they want extra pass-rushing assist and to make sure that the sting isn’t a weak spot after they fortified the center with the Jarran Reed re-signing.
- Offensive deal with: Seattle received a serviceable starter in Brandon Shell, signed middle B.J. Finney, and introduced again Mike Iupati on a one-year deal. But it surely’s missing in depth choices and a possible successor for Duane Brown, who might be 35 when subsequent season will get underway.
- Cornerback: Whereas the Seahawks made a robust transfer in buying and selling for Quinton Dunbar, they want a dependable nickel nook. For now, that’s Ugo Amadi, however they will do with getting him some competitors within the type of a rookie, maybe somebody that matches the prototypical mould of a Pete Carroll cornerback, one thing they’ve been missing since Richard Sherman left.
After the draft:
The Seahawks had a really Seahawks draft, regardless that they didn’t make a first-round commerce.
Their first two picks have been on Texas Tech linebacker Jordyn Brooks (first spherical) and Tennessee defensive finish Darrell Taylor (second spherical), neither of whom had a ton of buzz heading into the draft. Nonetheless, they will probably assist Seattle’s protection straight away. Brooks is a superb run defender who had 20 tackles for loss final 12 months in Lubbock, whereas Taylor totaled 8.5 sacks for the Vols. Syracuse’s Alton Robinson, one other edge rusher, is a pleasant Day three pickup.
The Seahawks solely added one depth piece to their offensive line, however he’s a great one: LSU’s Damien Lewis within the third spherical.
Dan Kadar’s draft grade: C